- Hard links have actual content
- Hard link is the replica of the original file
- All hard links have the same inode number
- ls –l command output gives all links with link columns
- If you remove any hard link, it will reduces the link count and this will not affect the other links.
Soft Links (Symbolic Links)
- Soft link is a pointer to the original file. It doent contains the original content.
- Soft links are just short cuts to the actual files.
- Soft links having the different inode number.
- ls –l command output gives all links with second column value 1 and the links point to the original file.
- If you remove the soft link it doesn’t affect anything but the removal of original file makes the link becomes ‘dangling’ link which points to nonexistent file.