The frequency of the redo archiving is depended on the volume of the transaction on the database. If the archive log destination is full then the archiver (ARCH) background process cannot write the archieve files into the archive log destination. Further, the database will be in hung state no connections will be allowed to the database. In this situation if you try to connect the database you get following error message. ORA-00257: archiver is stuck. CONNECT INTERNAL.
- A database backup, together with online and archived redo log files, guarantees that you can recover all committed transactions in the event of an operating system or disk failure.
- If you keep an archived log, you can use a backup taken while the database is open and in normal system use.
- You can keep a standby database current with its original database by continuously applying the original archived redo logs to the standby.
- So, If you cannot afford to lose any data in your database in the event of a disk failure, use ARCHIVELOG mode.
- In reality most of the Oracle databases run in ARCHIVELOG mode.